How Metal Building Construction Types Differ From Traditional Methods
When it comes to commercial building construction, metal buildings are becoming an increasingly popular choice. This is partly due to their affordability, durability, and energy efficiency. But what makes metal building construction different from traditional methods?
In this article, we’ll take a look at the unique process of steel building construction, the reasons why it has become so popular, details about pre-engineered metal building construction, metal building construction types, and their advantages. Here’s what you need to know:
How Does the Steel Building Construction Process Differ From Other Methods?
Steel building construction differs from traditional methods in several ways. Metal buildings are pre-engineered and arrive at the construction site in parts that can be quickly assembled. This makes the process much faster than building a non-metal structure from the ground up. Steel buildings are strong and durable enough to withstand most environmental conditions, especially those harsh Colorado winters.
Why Steel Building Construction Has Become So Popular
In recent years, steel building construction has become increasingly popular because of its cost savings and design flexibility options. Metal buildings can often be constructed for less than traditional structures due to their pre-engineered components, which require fewer labor costs during assembly. Many also have customizable features like wall panels and windows that enable the owner to modify their structure as needed.
Pre-Engineered Metal Building Construction Details
There are a few important things to consider regarding pre-engineered metal building construction details. Most are designed with purlins, which support the roof, and girts, which provide lateral stability. Additionally, steel columns are used to form the skeleton of the building, while steel beams provide structural integrity between posts or walls. High-quality insulation also reduces noise pollution and energy costs by reducing heat gain or loss for the structure’s interior spaces.
Metal Building Construction Types
Every Denver commercial property owner or manager knows that strong, reliable construction is the key to a successful building. Steel buildings are particularly valuable when creating secure, durable structures that stand up to the elements and serve you well for years to come. Below we’ll look at different metal building construction types.
PEMB construction is another popular option for steel building. PEMB stands for pre-engineered metal building and refers to steel structures designed with standard components to make the process simpler and less expensive than traditional construction methods. They offer reduced labor costs, faster installation times, and improved energy efficiency compared to other types of metal building constructions.
Prefabricated Metal Construction
One type of metal building construction is prefabricated metal buildings. Prefab metal buildings are built elsewhere, transported, and assembled at the job site. This type of steel building construction offers a variety of advantages, including cost savings, sustainability factors, and more efficient use of materials.
Precast Concrete Construction
Precast concrete construction utilizes precast concrete panels for walls and floors to save time and money on a project. Precast concrete has emerged as an efficient alternative to traditional materials due to its durability, fire resistance, thermal insulation properties, and soundproofing capabilities.
Modular Construction Systems
Modular systems consist of multiple pieces or modules arranged in different configurations depending on the desired outcome. Their quick installation times, simple assembly processes, cost savings resulting from reduced waste materials, increased flexibility during planning stages, and improved safety standards due to precise engineering specifications followed during manufacture all stand as strong advantages.
If your business is interested in a certain metal building construction type, or the steel building construction process in general, be sure to check out this article that breaks down the advantages of metal building.
The Steel Building Construction Process
- Site preparation, including excavation, grading, and foundation work
- Installation of anchor bolts or other foundation connections
- Construction of steel framework, typically done with cranes and other heavy equipment
- Placement of roof and wall panels, including any insulation or vapor barriers
- Installation of doors, windows, and other exterior elements
- Electrical and plumbing rough-ins, including any necessary conduit or piping
- Installation of HVAC systems and ductwork
- Interior finishing work, such as drywall, flooring, and painting
- Final touches, including landscaping, paving, and any necessary touch-ups or repairs
Please note that the specific steps and timeline for steel building construction can vary depending on the project’s size, complexity, and other factors.
Benefits of Steel Building Construction
The advantages of steel buildings over traditional structures go beyond cost savings and design flexibility options. Steel is highly durable compared to other materials like wood or brick, making it resistant to water damage and infestations like termites or mold growths. Outlined below, we’ll take a deeper dive into the benefits of steel building construction.
- Durability: Steel building construction is known for its strength and durability, withstanding harsh weather conditions, fire, and even earthquakes.
- Cost-effective: Steel buildings are often more cost-effective than traditional construction methods due to lower labor costs, faster construction times, and reduced maintenance costs.
- Design flexibility: Steel buildings offer excellent design flexibility, allowing various architectural styles and customization options, including walls, roofs, and interior layouts.
- Sustainability: Steel is a sustainable and recyclable material, making it an environmentally-friendly choice for building construction. It also requires less energy to produce and transport than other building materials.
- Low maintenance: Steel is a low-maintenance material that does not require painting or frequent repairs, resulting in long-term cost savings.
- Energy efficiency: Steel building construction can be designed to be energy-efficient, with features such as insulation, ventilation, and reflective roofing that help to reduce heating and cooling costs.
- Fast construction: Steel is constructed quickly, reducing construction time and allowing businesses to start operations sooner.
- Safety: Steel buildings are known for their safety features, including resistance to fire, pests, and natural disasters, making them a reliable choice for a variety of commercial, industrial, and residential applications.
Calahan Construction: Colorado’s Go-To Steel Building Construction Partner
Calahan Construction is a certified design-build contractor specializing in steel building construction projects for a variety of clients in various industries. We are an established Denver provider that has successfully completed hundreds of projects throughout the Colorado area. Give our team a call today for the metal building construction type for you.