What Are Metal Industrial Buildings Used For?
Metal industrial buildings are structures made out of steel for industrial applications. These metal buildings are designed to be extremely durable, safe, and cost effective, making them perfect for a variety of business needs.
So why are metal industrial buildings so popular? And what are the most common applications for them? Keep reading to find out.
What Is a Metal Industrial Building?
Typically, metal industrial buildings are prefabricated. They can be easily assembled onsite, making it possible to erect a full steel structure in relatively little time. The result is an environmentally friendly metal industrial building that can withstand the elements while offering high levels of energy efficiency.
You can use steel as a construction material for almost any building, but steel structures are most commonly used in industrial applications. We’ll explore these applications in the final section of this article—just keep in mind that metal industrial buildings can be used for almost anything.
The Benefits of Industrial Steel Structures
First, let’s take a look at some of the benefits of industrial steel structures. Why is metal a superior material for industrial applications?
- Lower construction costs: While steel can be more expensive than other construction materials, costs tend to be lower when using prefabricated steel buildings. That’s because they can be assembled rapidly and easily, keeping your labor costs to a minimum.
- Overall cost efficiency: When you take everything into consideration, metal industrial buildings are extremely cost efficient. Some expenses are higher when using commercial steel buildings, but the value you get more than makes up for your initial investment. We’ll cover some of these benefits in the remainder of this list.
- Durability: Steel is known for its high durability. It has the ability to withstand tough weather conditions, it’s impervious to damage from most bugs and animals, and it can last for decades with little to no maintenance.
- Design flexibility: Prefabricated metal buildings offer significant design flexibility. While there are some basic components and templates to choose from, you decide what your finished building will look like. Whatever kind of facility you need, a general construction contractor can help you develop the perfect industrial steel building. Architects also love designing steel buildings because there are so few restrictions to impede their creativity.
- Lower insurance costs: No matter what, you’ll need to insure your building. Insurance protects your investment should something ever happen to it. But because steel buildings are so resilient to damage, insurance costs tend to be lower. If you own the building for long enough, you could easily save thousands of dollars this way.
- Fast construction: Another great benefit of prefabricated steel buildings is their ability to be constructed quickly. Because many of the materials are ready to go from the outset, construction workers can focus on assembly. Sometimes, they can erect massive buildings in a matter of days or weeks rather than months.
- Minimal maintenance needs: Worried about maintenance? Put your concerns to bed with industrial steel structures. Metal retains its durability in even the toughest conditions and doesn’t require much in the way of ongoing maintenance, inspections, or improvements.
- High energy efficiency: Some people are surprised to learn that metal is also a great material if you want your industrial buildings to be energy efficient. As long as you choose the right upgrades and construction styles, including plenty of insulation, these buildings can reduce your energy demand.
As the construction industry continues to innovate, more businesses are turning to pre-engineered steel buildings as the ideal solution for their needs.
Applications for Commercial Steel Buildings and Metal Frame Commercial Buildings
These are some of the most common industries where commercial steel buildings are used:
- Manufacturing: Steel is one of the best choices for a manufacturing facility. Prefabricated structures make it easy to include all of the catwalks, bay openings, conveyors, and other large components needed to keep your plant operational. And if you’re handling corrosive materials, you don’t have to worry about eroding away the steel; you can use a special coating as a layer of protection. Perhaps best of all, most steel structures offer a wide, open floor plan, giving you more flexibility with manufacturing design.
- Service: Commercial steel buildings are also common in the service industry. Steel is commonly used in agricultural buildings, distribution centers, auto service garages, the towing industry, and companies responsible for cold storage. Because there are so many customization options available with prefabricated commercial steel buildings, you can make adjustments for almost any need.
- Warehousing: Warehouses need a ton of open space, which is why many companies with warehousing needs turn to commercial steel buildings for their main structures. Most steel buildings can accommodate extremely heavy loads without sacrificing stability.
- Utility buildings: Wastewater treatment facilities, generator buildings, pump stations, and other utility buildings also make frequent use of prefabricated industrial steel structures. Usually, there are special needs to keep in mind; for example, if the facility deals with corrosive materials, the steel needs a special coating, and certain noisy facilities may require extra insulation or sound controls. Fortunately, there’s plenty of flexibility to accommodate these needs.
- Recreational facilities: For your recreational facility to function as intended, you need significant open space to include all of the activities and features you want. Industrial metal buildings are perfect for this, providing plenty of room for almost anything you want, like gigantic swimming pools or paintball arenas.
- Commercial storage: Finally, industrial metal buildings are commonly used for commercial storage. Whether you’re looking for an aircraft hangar or storage for your construction equipment, these industrial structures can work wonders.
Calahan Construction: Your Top Choice for Metal Industrial Buildings, Steel Structures, and More
Interested in a metal industrial building for your commercial application? Or are you exploring options with general construction contractors? We can help you make the right decision and give you the perfect industrial steel structure for your needs. Contact us for a free quote today!